Warm weather brings longer days, a more enjoyable environment, and overall excitement about the upcoming year. However, it also brings the reemergence of pests that won’t hesitate to make your home their own. While keeping your home free of pests is a year round task, spring is a time when many end their hibernation and begin moving outdoors.
In addition to general cleaning, there are some areas you should focus on to up your pest control practices. At Greenix Pest Control, we’re committed to proactive measures against pests — that’s why we’ve gathered these tips to help your home stay clean and pest-free.
Cut the Clutter
Disorganization and mess are the perfect habitats for pests because they offer hidden spaces to grow and multiply. These spaces attract pests regardless of the type of clutter.
As you tackle regular spring cleaning tasks, address the following items in each space:
- Kitchen — organize cabinets and storage, wipe down all surfaces, discard expired or rotten food, sweep floors
- Bedroom — organize clothing piles, clean bedding, vacuum under all furniture, clean storage spaces
- Living space — vacuum furniture, give all items a place or storage, sweep floors
- Garage — properly store tools and materials, sweep floors
- Attic/Basement — sweep, organize storage items, clean as needed
While cleaning these areas, be sure to look for any signs of pests or infestation. These signs could include droppings, scratches, grease spots, or deceased pests.
Secure Food Sources
Food and water are major attractors to all sorts of pests. After cleaning and organizing your space, assess how these elements might be a factor in your home.
- Pantry — Make sure all items are securely stored in their containers or packages, including pet food. For extra insurance, transfer items from cardboard boxes to durable plastic containers.
- Garbage and recycling — Food scraps are an easy target for rodents and ants. Invest in a secure lid for these containers and store them separately from pantry items.
- Pipes — Leaking pipes provide the perfect water source for pests. While cleaning your bathrooms or basement, the areas below pipes are moisture-free.
- Dishwasher and sinks — Clean dishes promptly to not attract pests. If waiting to run a dishwasher, make sure the door is shut fully.
Additionally, always put away food and dispose of food waste, wrappers, and dishes immediately after use. It’s best to take care of it right away than risk forgetting about it and becoming a site for infestation.
Keep Up with Lawn Maintenance
Cleaning the outside of your home is just as important as cleaning the inside. While you prepare for the perfect summer, note these added measures to prevent pests.
- Move wood piles — These stacks attract all sorts of pests, especially termites, which can completely ruin the structure of your home.
- Trim bushes and trees — Overgrown bushes and trees provide the coverage needed for pests to thrive. Bushes that brush the side of your home or trees that overhang your roof could also provide an easy pathway inside your home.
- Eliminate standing water — Still water is attractive to many pests, but especially to mosquitoes, which reproduce in water. Remove possible sources for stagnant water, like clogged gutters and pre-treat ponds with eco-friendly chemicals.
Outdoor cleaning will require regular maintenance throughout the summer. As you do so, make sure to take care of lawn clippings, branches, and other waste in a timely manner.
There’s No Better Time to Prevent Pests
Cleaning is just the first step in pest prevention — for greater protection, partner with the pest control professionals at Greenix to keep your home protected year round. At Greenix, our service professionals will go above and beyond to protect your home with personalized plans, sustainable solutions, and year-round care. Contact us for more information, and get started with a free quote today!